Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Volunteer--Who me?

For years I have said "I really need to donate my time to something".  It usually ends up that my time would be donated to the couch, computer or some "chore" that I invented as being more important than the cause.  I did something different this summer that I think will make a big difference.

I have committed myself at 5 different events so far this fall.  They are all walks or runs for various diseases.  I don't have a specific cause.  I think that all of these ideas are worthy of someone helping out to make sure they can pull it off.  They are on Saturdays when I'm available.  I've signed up, my email confirmations are sitting in the inbox.  I feel great and I haven't done anything yet.

What was so different this year?  As stupid as this sounds, T-shirts.  My friend Tim, organizes a team of students each year to walk in the MS Walk each spring.  A couple of them signed up as Volunteers instead of participants.  They needed to clear some detention hours, I needed proof of service, hence the T-shirt.  I've worn it with guilty pride a few times this summer already.  Emblazoned with VOLUNTEER in bright international orange across the back.  It is my muse.

I'm helping these causes because it doesn't take much of my time.  It will not be brain surgery and it will be for a good reason, each and every one of them.  I get the opportunity to meet all kinds of people from all different walks of life who really will have a story to tell.  I hope to tell them all during the fall.  I know someone, or of someone, who has been affected by each of these diseases.  I feel like I'm helping friends and their families directly.

I'm getting an early start on this giving thing this week.  I'm donating blood on July 4th.  I figure that there has been enough blood spilled for this nation in causes both good and bad that I can afford to give mine on a regular basis as well.  I've donated before, but its been awhile since my last donation.  I'm looking forward to it.  Besides, I get another T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment