Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Motivate, Motivate, Nah

I had one of those days where I got up raring to go and do something, anything, and just couldn't do it. I went to the gym and had a great workout but just didn't get much farther then that today. The good news is I don't feel bad about it. There is no bad news and sometimes in situations like this that is all you feel from the situation.

I had big plans today. I was going to get my rear over to Home Depot and get the supplies I needed to insulate and drywall the one unfinished wall in the garage. It is part of my home improvement bent (you should see how Cal and I made the tile sparkle) that usually takes place during the summer and then fizzles out about the third week of vacation.

I wasn't tired, I wasn't upset. I did not think about it much at all. I just couldn't drag myself to the store to do it. I didn't watch the macabre proceedings of the Jackson memorial. I didn't spend too much time on the computer just wasting time. I didn't spend a lot of time reading. I just didn't get to it. Bottom line. Nope, didn't do it.

I like to look back on each day and know I got something done. It could be that I read a lot, called someone, ran a bunch of errands, something, anything it doesn't matter, but let me have the chance to point at it and say 'aha' at the end of the day. Today's moment(s) are going to the gym and getting gas in both cars. I indulged in a guilty pleasure of walking, nay, meandering, through Costco. It was a glorious 30 minutes or more of just looking and picking up and putting down. I walked out with nothing that I didn't walk in with.

I just poured through 35 pages of my current book during the last hour. It wasn't a response to not getting anything done as much a response to not wanting to watch the crap on the idiot box. I did the dishes, took Cal to basketball camp (he is wiped out), emptied the dishes, made dinner, but I don't have that one thing to look back on today. In the very recent past this would have kept me up tonight. The things you could have done, you lost a whole day, when will it get down? I've changed. It is okay to not have something to hang on to each and everyday because, in the words of John Wooden, "a lot of activity does not always equate to achievement."

So when you look back on what it was today that kept you going, or your project that you finished, remember that you got a lot of things done today, or not. Neither of them matter, what matters is the fact that you are okay with just what you managed throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment