Sunday, July 12, 2009

Inspiration

A couple of people have asked me, almost demanded, to make sure I write something everyday. It is not the easiest task in the world. I have to narrow in on one particular topic that I have not been able to really expand on before and then type enough to make the little elevator thingy on the side of my writing pane get small enough to let me know I've said enough. The toughest part is the idea for that day, once that comes the rest of it is like being a housecat, no worries at all.

I've been 'off' the past couple of days. I did not write on either Friday nor Saturday. On Friday I was at a conference for the better part of the day, a school thing during the summer (you mean teachers work during the summer too?), and on Saturday I was supposed to be back at the same conference and then in Lakewood to watch Kylie skate. I was not in the mood to write at the end of either day.

Not that these days did not provide me with material. Don't get me wrong, there was no lack of material (I'll share it with you during the week), I just did not want to commit myself to 'paper'. My goal has been to write something new, something about a page, about everyday. It is the first time in my life that I have ever written each and every day. It is the first time in my life that I have taken the opportunity to really sit back and reflect on something at the end of each day. It has been a great experience each time I sit down.

Another goal with this is to not dwell on the obvious. If it is something that has ended up on the news and the talk/late show circuit, I'm not very likely to talk about it. I am trying to deal with the things that each of us deal with on a regular basis. It is not about how I feel about the Michael Jackson Memorial (are you kidding me?) or the latest news that the government was spying on ALL of us without permission (no way), it is how I feel about the 'nothing' that goes on during my day. I'm not Seinfeld. I haven't put these things down before. It is cathartic. It is strange. It is something that gets me engaged better with what is going on in my life.

So as I write this week I will tell you more about what happened, or didn't. I'm sure that I'l do this between getting the garage finished, starting to paint the kids rooms (time to redecorate) and learning how to do stucco patching. I'm a busy guy this vacation. I'm going to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment