Monday, July 13, 2009

Projects and Projects

I'm very task oriented. I love the feeling of getting something finished. I like to see it through from the start to the finish all in one fell swoop. No middle dabble into something else. No getting another project started before this one is finished. I like to get it started and get it finished and then move forward.

I'm getting closer to being done with the drywall in the garage. It really looks good. I'm amazed at the difference it makes in the whole space. I never thought that it would ever make such an overwhelming difference to what is really not a room that I spend much time in. My father-in-law helped me put up the drywall. He was instrumental in making the measurements and cuts. He said something today that made me very proud. I've being doing the 'mudding', taping joints and using joint compound to finish the wall before getting it painted. He told me that the next time he does drywall he wants me to come and do the mudding. It was a great compliment coming from someone who I consider to be pretty darn handy in all respects.

The problem with projects is that they can sometime interfere with other projects you have going on. I am trying to reclaim my girlish figure. I have let (knowingly) creep back on my frame since March. I got off to a great start with my eating and exercise programs and then just fell off the cliff since I became programmed to my project in the garage. I started missing workouts because "I put up the insulation, drywall, etc" and that will count for it. Then it was a weekend binge that has really got my head spinning. My body is ready to be reclaimed. I am ready to reclaim it.

What makes it all unusual is that during the summer I usually am "out of shape". The fact that I am working and moving all day and then working out truly must exhaust my body. I just want to get to the school year where I have already taken off the unneeded poundage and flab so that I can not worry so much about what else I need to do. Of course when you start adding in the reading I'm doing (I'm on my tenth book of the summer) and the writing (I think this is post 24) and the projects (garage, attic, kids rooms, a bunch of finish work) that what I'm really learning is the art of balance. It was the lack of balance in my life that through me off track to begin with.

When I went into administration I was told by a friend at work to not lose sight of having balance. Make sure that you do not become your work nor your work become who you are. I was not capable of that. The job consumed me and then it devoured me and then it turned my soul inside out. When I made the shift in schools mid-year people could tell I was not the same. I wasn't. I'm still not. I'm far better and happier now then I have been in a long, long time. It has taken some reminders about the most important projects (me, my wife and kids) that have allowed me to tackle some of those other things that you just want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment