Friday, July 17, 2009

Guilty Pleasure

I have a guilty pleasure I indulge in every time I go online at home. My wife knows about. I can't get away from it. In fact there are some days when I go back to look over and over again. It is just one of the those things I can't get enough of.

I love looking at the "FREE" postings on Craigslist. It is something I can't get enough of. The most popular give aways are dirt (always clean) and cardboard moving boxes. After these two it usually is IKEA furniture. I've encountered everything from a desk, to wardrobes, cabinets and lamps. All of them were working and in good shape, although slight used. I can't figure out why people would get rid of the IKEA stuff.

This really satisfies my hunger as a browser. I love to just see what is available at places like Costco, Big Lots and the occasional jaunt to the 99 cent store (or less!). I like to think of it as a treasure hunt where I will be the one at the next gathering who can say, "I found it at (fill in favorite discounter here). It was only (fill in ridiculous low price here)!" The thing is, I haven't had that kind of luck. I've found great deals, acted on some of them, but really I just like the pursuit. I'm kind of a voyeur when it comes to shopping.

Craigslist is perfect for doing all of my browsing without ever leaving the house. One thing will lead to another and the next thing you know you are actually looking up something that you might actually need and/or use. I've never seen a more active place then the postings for Los Angeles. One day there were over 150 postings for free stuff. Curb alerts, driveway dumps, in the alleys, you name it, it was there. It is the perfect place to find a new TV. I'm not kidding. Go look right now and I guarantee that you will find at least one working TV that is free of cost. It will not be a flatscreen but it will be a TV. The best posting was a picture of two iPods. The title "take my son's toys away please". They were gone in a flash.

I just cleared out the garage and had a driveway full of stuff. I did not post it Craigslist. There was some really good stuff. A couple of bookcases (not from IKEA), some old cookbooks, some old clothes, a lot of things that I'm sure people could have used. I took them to Goodwill instead. When it comes to big loads I want to make sure that people in need really get the stuff. I have gotten rid of a homemade workbench on CL's though. It was great to get so much attention.

I've got to go. I have to see if there is something I need on the list today. Maybe today I'll find that pot of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment