Sunday, July 26, 2009

Road Trip!

We are on vacation.  Well sort of on vacation.  We are on vacation in the sense that we are away from our home for the week.  It is not a cruise or an airplane ride to some scenic getaway.  We will not come back tanned and massaged.  We will come back from our trip better off then when we left and in conditions that are different from when we got started.

We spent our time on the most scenic drive ever known to mankind.  We got the rare opportunity to drive between Orange County and Stockton.  The great "Valley Corridor" of Interstate 5.  I-5 is one of those drives where if it were possible to hook up your car to stay in its lane (and everyone a safe distance apart) you could read a good book during that time on the road.  With the exception of the Grapevine, it is driving at its dullest.  I think even CHP officers don't bother pulling folks other unless they are really screwing off.

I've made this trip three times so far this year, which is about twice more then I would have made it in any single year.  The first time was for the State Basketball Finals (my school lost), the second my friend Jon's very unexpected funeral, and this is the usual trip to visit with my folks.  Each one has taken about the same amount of time in getting to Stockton.  Right about 5 hours (it is 370 miles--I'll let you do the math).  I've made it in 4.5 from OC before.  When I was at UCLA (about 35 miles closer) I once made it in under 4.  It is about the timing (early morning is best), whether you can make it without stopping (or at least nothing more then a 'splash and dash', and what kind of traffic (truck especially) you get along the way.  The right combination is crucial to making a good (great) time.

Coming back to OC is a different matter.  It is all about LA and what happens there.  If you hit it just right you can cruise through it without getting stopped at all.  If you hit it at the wrong time you can literally take just as long to get from LA (the 405 just south of Magic Mountain) to Orange County as it did to get from Stockton to the 405.  It is just maddening.  The only good news is the fact that in LA there are things to do and places to eat.  It gives us the chance to do something in order to 'let traffic pass'.  Just plain dumb.

We are starting this year's trip in San Jose.  Kylie is skating at a competition, the ISI (recreational) World Finals.  Anyone could have entered.  We chose this one because it was either a good start or end to the rest of our trip.  Kylie has been skating really well and we are all hoping for a really great result.  It would be cool to be world champ, even if it was something we 'qualified' for by making sure our paperwork and payment were in on time. We are only in San Jose for one day and then we head to Stockton for the rest of it.  

We are in Stockton to see my parents and grandmother.  For the regulars you know that grandma has had all kinds of problems with her health as of late.  I will go and make the trip out to see her at the nursing facility in a couple of days.  I'm not looking forward to it much because I was the last person, outside of my grandmother, to see my grandfather in the hospital when he passed away.  It was very difficult to see him in such a withered state and I am hoping that this trip is not a reminder of that.  One of the main tasks will be working on grandma's former apartment and getting things in storage.  It appears that she will spend the rest of her time in the nursing facility.

We are also in town to see my folks.  My parents are in their mid 70s and are not as mobile as they once were.  I told them to make sure they had things for me to take care of while I'm in town.  I want them to get the house taken care of so that they will not have the worry of what might go on later in life.  My brothers and sister are also in the process of helping my parents divest of many of their gatherings over the years.  I am taking a large die-cast car collection and selling it for my folks.  I am also taking a couple of sewing machines for my wife so she can continue sewing skating costumes.  There is a ton more and I am hoping to make some inroads on getting more things, stuff that has dust that is older then the grandchildren (Andrea is 28 I believe).  

We have seen my parents go through their parents homes after they passed away.  Know we are dealing with grandma and the nursing home and what is left of her possessions.  We know, and hope, that my parents have quite a bit of time left on this planet.  We also know that they have a lifetime of collections within the house (and sheds, and greenhouse, and closets, and . . .) and we want to ensure them the quality of life without chasing them off from their stuff.  It is hard.  In fact it is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  I hope my folks understand that none of the kids want anything other then the best for them.  We just want to be able to make sure that all of us know what that means.  

No comments:

Post a Comment