Saturday, July 18, 2009

Home Alone

Krista is in San Antonio for the next couple of days. She is presenting her wisdom to teachers about Advanced Placement and how to teach it better. She is a pro. She is the one that so many people say to their colleagues, "if you get the chance to see her or get her to your school you should." I'm not kidding in the least about this. She just recently held a private consultation for a couple of teachers at the beginning of the summer based on this kind of recommendation. She is that good at what she does.

The problem is that it usually means she has to travel somewhere "exotic" in order to get the job done. It pays well, $500 for the day plus expenses, but it is always an empty feeling when the check comes in the mail. The time that she is gone, and it usually is pretty short this days, is really a downer. Neither one of us sleeps well, we both get crabby, and we want the whole thing to be over as soon as possible. This does not take into account anything that might be going on with the kids and their schedules, the normal errands and chores, nor all of the fun things that have to happen in order to travel. It is something I can't stand.

Krista knows I hate it. She only does it to keep her name out there and to help out those people at the "Board" that she respects. To her it is nothing more then skating money. Get in, get out, get paid. She has made quite a few contacts through all of this, and has been able to really see what the rest of the nation is doing and dealing with when it comes to education. She is a voice of reason to these arguments. She is out there to help make teachers teach kids better in the classroom. It really is as simple as that.

I just don't like having her gone. The kids don't like it either. They are strange with the way they handle it though. They are usually perfect for the time that she is gone and then the second she comes through the door they act like they are on crack. It is bizarre. It is them listening to her say "be good for daddy" and taking that literally. I'm the one who has the most problems of the bunch while she is out, that is for sure.

During her departures I usually find myself wasting a lot of time in front of the computer, eating food that is not good for anyone, sleeping during the day and not sleeping at night. It is all psycho (I know I am) symatic. I convince myself that things cannot be accomplished because she is not around. That all decision making processes must be put on hold because she would know better ("grape or strawberry jelly?"). It is a dilemma that I have only conquered through making sure that I keep myself busy. Today that meant starting to paint Cal's room. Tomorrow it will mean more of the same.

Krista will be back, weather permitting, Around 10:30 tomorrow night. She will be exhausted, and so will I. She will come home and fall asleep as quick as can be, but I still be up just to make sure that she really is back home where she belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment