Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Letting Go

I met with the new Assistant Principal at my school today. He has taken over the post that I, willing, vacated. Even though I have not been thinking about that job or what it entails, I guess I have been thinking about it. I have not been able to give it to someone else until today. It was the starting point that I needed in order to move away from the job at large.

When I got my first AP job, all the way back last year, I had an idea of what I was doing. I knew that the majority of the job was about kids and discipline and attendance issues. This is what I really thought I was going to spend my time on. If I been able to spend my time on these items I might not be in the position I'm currently in. This might not be my 30th post this summer. I might not have learned how to hang drywall, or repaint the kids rooms, or read 10 books in 6 weeks, or . . . .

I dealt with adults. Adults who did not know how to always conduct themselves for the betterment of the kids around them. I dealt with those who always had something to say about the kids, I dealt with parents who were always coming up with an excuse for their kids (or their own) behavior, and I dealt with ALL of their problems on top of what I was supposed to do, as well as those things I wanted to accomplish. I've never been the one who wanted to be in charge. I'm a great helper, I'm a great thinker and creator, I'm not good at getting (forcing) people to do what I think they should already know to do.

When I met with James today, James is the new AP, I didn't see myself in the office. I didn't see myself longing for the position. I didn't see me in that spot anymore. I was able to help him, and in turn help the school, and offered my advice and knowledge on kids and how to approach some of the tasks he will face this summer and into the fall. He looked confident in what was going on. He seemed to be ready to face the tasks and deal with all of those things that will come his way. I was happy to let him know that I would be there to help when he needed something, that I would throw my two cents in when necessary, but that I knew that the job was not mine. It was a satisfying feeling. It was another step forward. It was something that made me tell some one just how great my summer has been.

It is good to know that you are good at somethings. It is even better to know that you can be good at somethings and be able to walk away from them and not do them because they are things you do not want to do. I'm looking forward to what the school year has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment