Thursday, August 6, 2009

Stamina Building

I tend to think about what others need quite a bit. I've never missed a meal. I've never gone without clothes or shelter. I've never been in a situation where I couldn't get it taken care of (whatever it might be). I know some people who have gone through these stages. I know of some people who might need the help. What is important is to take care of any of those people around you so that each of us might get the help we need.

My parents are now the oldest living members of the Dornbush/Cochran clan. They are in their 70s and by their own admission, are slowing down quite a bit. They can't stand not being able to do the things that they want to do, quilting and model railroading, for the short amount of time that they can. It is not the good old days when these were all day affairs for them. They do not have the stamina. The recent dealings with my grandmother have not made things any easier for them.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to give my parents back some of their stamina. They were not in a position to move an out of an apartment, take care of all the changes that go along with a death, finalize all of the medical billing, and still run a life of their own. The apartment is empty. The keys are turned in. The billing is done. The changes in address and power of attorney are done. My parents are close to getting their lives back.

I know that my parents are in need. I also have noticed how well they are taken by their children. As a family we always rally around when the cause is needed. We call, we help, we get together. We don't always communicate outside of this. I have been able to notice just how much support, some physical, some emotional, some moral, that they have gotten from their kids. We will always continue this, and it is my hope that we will take better care of them so that the rest of their days are worry free.

I'm not sure who the worry free is about. I'm not sure whether it is for them or whether it is for me. I want my parents house to be taken care of in the manner that I take care of my house. I want to be able to see my parents yard to be the envy of all the community. I want all of this for my parents and I want to be the one who takes care of it. I want my parents to be able to quilt and railroad without worrying about all of the other issues that come up in a household no matter how old you, or your house is.

I guess what I really want is for my parents to be able to have that stamina, or at least feel like they do, to do what they want to do each and every day of their lives. Like all good exercise programs it starts out small and gradually builds itself into something large. I'm hoping that I am helping them to build a strong foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment