Monday, August 24, 2009

12 Days

Its been 12 days since my last post. It is almost like I forgot how to write. You get into a pattern with habits, I've been told 21 consecutive times is the magic number for the habit to stick, and sometimes with new habits (diets and working out especially) it is hard to maintain them. I'm back to writing, 5 times a week (more if I have it in me), just as school comes around the corner.

Over the last 12 days I have done the following:

Cleared out my Grandmother's apartment
Gone to my Grandmother's Memorial
Put together a new sewing machine setup for Krista in our bedroom
Moved the computer to the kitchen/office area
Donated a sideboard
Moved cookbooks and china to the pantry shelves
Gone to Goodwill (I think 8 times counting the trips for Grandma's)
Put together a new entertainment cabinet
Installed 2 new tv's
Installed 1 home theater system
Hung new curtain rods and drapes
Bought new linens
Finished the outside stucco repairs
Repainted the little holes all over
Had the modem moved
Had the asbestos ducting taken out
Had a new water heater and furnace installed
Volunteered at 2 events
Signed up to teach online classes

And did all of the other things that go along with being a parent and member of society.

I guess I've been busy.

It isn't about the busy. It is about the rebirth of my soul. All of these things are about me being better. They are things that matter to me when it comes to the building, the fixing, the making it work. It isn't about the stuff, in fact there has been more going out then coming in. I have become comfortable with getting to be able to do for myself what I didn't think I was going to be able to do for myself. It has been a long time in the making.

I don't have a traditional spiritual center. I'm not a member of one particular religion. I believe that it is important to find what it is that makes you work that makes that spirituality work. I have finally figured out that I like to see things put together. I like to see things work. I like the simple and elegant. I like the fact that my kids know right from wrong, and take the right path almost all of the time. I know that kindness works, that it is okay to help a total stranger, that it is better to give then receive, and that in the end you will be paid back for your good deeds in ways you never imagined.

These are not revelations. These are not new ideas. These are ideas that I have been able to finally identify as being cornerstones in my life. These are the things that matter and these are the things that I know will make my life and the lives of those around me much more complete.
While I've been off from writing I've had a couple of people ask when I was going to write again. It is a great feeling to know that some of you out there read this. I'm glad. My 12 days are up and I'm back at the keyboard again.


1 comment: