Saturday, August 29, 2009

Karma

I'm a big believer in Karma, or at least the western idea of what Karma is. I've never studied Karma so I do not have an exact definition, hold on while I open another tab and get a definition. Thanks for waiting. Buddhanet.net gives the following definition, ". . . from a Buddhist point of view, our present mental, moral intellectual and temperamental differences are, for the most part, due to our own actions and tendencies, both past and present." In other words folks, if do good deeds you will be repaid with good deeds and vice versa.

I'm not sure why I believe in Karma. My guess is that more truly nice people are Karma-addicts then those who aren't so nice. I guess I like the idea that someday I get "paid" for the nice things I've done for people over the course of a lifetime. The fact is I don't need a payoff to do nice things (except the t-shirt for the volunteer things), I just want to help those who need it.

Case in point, the other day I was at IKEA, loading up another project for the house (it looks great by the way), when I noticed an older couple who were waiting for the dock guy to get all the way down to them and help them get the load into their truck. There was no way they were going to be able to get this load into the bed of the truck. It was a bed frame and mattress. She was in her early 50s and her father was in his 70s and walked with a cane. It wasn't going to happen for them. I loaded up my truck (5 minutes) and walked down to ask them if they needed help. Anyone of the 10 to 15 people who were loading up could have done the same thing. I decided they had better things to do then sit in the IKEA parking lot hoping that someone would get to them. They were grateful, a little shocked, but happy to be on their way.

I can't spend my time not helping out. It just seems silly not trying to brighten the day of people, including yourself. For people who have known me for a great length of time they understand that I'm a helper but they also know that I'm a sarcastic cynic who can also look at the 'other side' and play 'devil's advocate' just because it is in my nature. I'm tired of that nature. I do not want to be the 'and/or' guy any more. I want to be, and am trying to become, the 'and' guy. This and that. Hopefully through good acts it will all work out.

So if you are in need of an extra set of hands for your volunteer event, or stuck in the lot at IKEA, if I'm around I'll help. Karma says so.

No comments:

Post a Comment