Sunday, September 13, 2009

Time Shifting

School has been underway for two weeks and I can already feel the difference in what I get done for me. The summer is all about the individual, at least when it comes to teachers and time off, the school year is almost always about service, to students, your kids (if they are students), and as much as you can to yourself.

I've tried to incorporate my blog into my classroom. I'm having my students comment on some of the writing that I do, and will be expanding it into something that they will see as a regular discussion board. It also gives me the opportunity to get some me time. I value what I do on the computer, I like to get in as quickly as I can, get the task done and move on to the fun that I can have with it. I'm hoping that this will bring a new sense to my mission as a teacher as well.

I have been able to keep up on my other wants so far. I was at the Heart Walk this morning out at the old El Toro airbase. It was good to see so many out for a cause that is near and dear to me. My mother-in-law has had a heart attack, my grandmother had multiple strokes and my grandfather died of a massive heart attack. Even though the event was a mess as far as traffic (worse than any sporting event I've ever been to), it was still great to see a thousands get out there and walk to support the cause. It also brings the volunteer T-Shirt total up to 3 (however it is 5 if I count the blood donation shirt and the second, but different, shirt from Light the Night). Service over self I always say.

I also have not seen my family as much. During the summer we saw each other every day, three squares together. Very rarely did we not spend the day together. With school in swing it takes that big chunk of the day out of the equation and we have to value our time together in another manner. I don't like the scenario very much. If I am supposed to raise my kids shouldn't I be given the time to do it? We simply make every moment count, making sure to try to slow down and stop and do the simple things together.

I've noticed that I am not the only one who is going through this shift. On Facebook, my friends who are teachers are in the same boat. We aren't posting our farms, we aren't commenting on quizzes, we are almost a lost tribe. We are part of the grind all over again. I noticed it today when we were out in the stores with all the others that are in the stores at this time. It is the time every one goes but I am not used to seeing this many people when I'm out and about.

The good news is I've learned a lot about how to handle my time as a working stiff. There are ways for me to make sure that I can eke out every second during the working day just so I can gain minutes at home with the family and for me. So If you notice that I'm not on here every day there is a reason. Sometimes I'm just so done at the end of the day that I don't have the time or energy to take the 15 minutes to sit down and do this. When I think about that though it makes me realize that these 15 minutes are important for me. I 'll be there for those 15 minutes, those 15 minutes make things better.

So as we shift toward autumn (at least I hope so for the weather) I'll make sure that as my time shifts I can't let it shift my values.

No comments:

Post a Comment